Sunday, February 8, 2015

Pico de Loro - New Trail / DENR Trail

As the Skookum Mountaineers officially turned One, I made sure that our group should at least have a hike/climb last January 31. And since my fellow Skookums were either held back by their respective schedules or personal commitments, I was forced to do a solo-climb instead.

While I would always prefer to be with my best climb buddies (of course that includes my wife) rather than doing it solo, I'd say that hiking alone also has its advantages. Nevertheless, I'd make a separate post concerning this topic once I get more ideas and experience on the matter.

As it was my first time to climb solo, I decided to just limit my options to the mountains that I am most familiar with. And it was not until after I was able to drive-thru the Jollibee branch in nearby Tomas Morato (for my breakfast) that I finally decided to head to Pico de Loro.

Pico de Loro remains to be one of the most popular climbs in the Philippines

The Monolith

My 1st mountain for 2015

Held by traffic at the EPZA area just after the Cavitex, I arrived at the jumpoff at around 0730H. Just as I expected, there are already a lot mountaineers heading to the trail head, and of course, the ever-increasing number of weekend warriors who also try to have a piece of their own adventure. I parked Jaff on the shoulder of the highway and immediately put on my gears. I paid the mandatory registration fee of P25.00 and then went on to do some stretching. At 0810, I said a brief prayer and then started to hike/run.

Oh how I missed the eerie silence of the forest, which was intermittently broken by chirping birds, the sound of crickets/cicadas and the rustling of leaves caused by the cool mountain breeze.



I was able to reach the famous "yellow tree" in about 15 minutes. And at 0830H, I was already able to register and pay the required fees at 2nd registration site. Since there are already about 40 hikers taking a break at that time, I decided to push forward and just take-5 after 30 minutes of continuous trekking/running.






woodie

I reached the Alibangbang junction at 0850H. I pushed on until I reached the assault part of the trail leading to the campsite. I would usually rest for a minute of two once I already feel fatigue is starting to set in. Surprisingly, I reached the campsite at 0950H.

The campsite is already teeming with activity. About 70 hikers are either taking pictures, resting on bamboo benches, pitching tents, or enjoying the glorious view that is the "parrot's beak". Just one thing crept into my mind, if I decide to rest and while away time at the store, the summit might get crowded and the foot traffic at the final assault to the summit will surely cost me time. Hence, after drinking the water I bought from the store, I decided to proceed to the summit.

True enough, there are already a lot of hikers on the summit trail. So after being held back at the initial approaches, I made my way past a group of hikers at the vertical climb before the winding ascent. I then chose to climb my way through the left-most part of the trail but a number of foreign climbers was making their way down that direction. At 1010H, or exactly 2 hours since I started to hike, I finally reached the summit.





Since I climbed the mountain solo, (...in other words, I do not have someone to take my pictures while I'm there haahaa.), I decided not to proceed to the Monolith anymore. So, after enjoying the captivating scenery before me, I began to tramp my way back to the campsite at 1040H.





Footloose at the summit
Another view of the campsite
Feeling tired and hungry, I bought cup noodles at the store (original store at the campsite). While I was resting there, I began to have a chitchat with the owner together with one of the local guides. We talked about the proliferation of stores at the campsite including the plan of other locals to also establish their respective stores, the sorry state of the trail leading to the summit due to the ever-increasing number of climbers, how they were made to answer a complaint at the barangay hall because of the devious plan of the owner of the second store to close a part of the actual trail (there is actually a barbed wire fence) and deviate the same to make people pass by their store (what a clever idea indeed). It was at this time that they broached to me the existence of a new trail that the DENR made. As my interest was piqued by this new development, I tried to gather additional information about it. Taking their assurance that it is relatively safe for me to take the new trail, I decided to test it before it is formally opened.

That's the 3rd and the newest store at the campsite

This is actually part of the trail that the owner of the 2nd store put up

It was just not right for them to put this fence.
I left the store at 1150H and excitedly willed my way through the bamboo grove, until I reached the (now) fallen tree, the very beautiful roots of which are actually visible.

Instead of following the old trail down to the Alibangbang junction, I decided to turn left and started to gain altitude. This went on until I reached a clearing (where a boulder is located) where I saw for the first time, a very different and perfect view of Pico de Loro. From here, the trail will start to slope downward until it turns to another assault leading to the Summit.


That's the rooty tree...on the left is the trail going down to the Alibangbang Tree...a right turn will lead you to the campsite


The start of the new trail (DENR Trail)


The bamboo grove...a steep climb ahead


A clearing just before the summit will offer you this fantastic view of the summit and the Monolith


The Boulder just before the summit


refreshing view

Pico de Loro...once more




Onward to the summit
From the summit, the trail is relatively all downward sloping, flat, straight, and with barely any uphill climbs. The forest cover is similar to the trail going to the Alibangbang junction. However, there are a number of fallen logs and timber along the way. So, going over them is needed. As it was my first time to use the trail, I decided to forego resting and just went on my way. What the heck, I was even startled by a monkey at one time.





twines, twigs, rocks, and logs sometimes block the trail




Just go through these fallen timber

These trees are the same as the famous yellow tree at the old trail

The trail goes through the right side of that tree

Relatively new...but I already collected trash along the way
The trail went on until I reached the river. I followed the river downstream and when the trail ended along its banks, I did some bouldering until I saw the trail again. If not for the sound of the motorcycles that I presumed came from the highway, I might have backtracked. The trail then ended on a clearing, and from here, the gazebos and concrete pathways at the DENR are already visible. I then had to do another round of bouldering until I reached one of the gazebos. It took me 50 minutes to negotiate the entire trail as I was already eating bananas at the DENR store at 1240H.

The Brook


follow the brook until you see this boulder...the trail continues to the right.


That is the trail on the right...you are already very near the DENR once you see this.
You will have to do a little bit of bouldering and that is the cemented bridge and gazebo you see there

That is the trail that I just tramped on
I then had a brief chitchat with the people at the store and was informed that the trail is still closed to hikers as the DENR is scheduled to inspect it sometime this February. In other words, they said that I was the first mountaineer they knew to use the trail (even 2nd or 3rd would be nice lol). At the nearby eatery, the ever-friendly owner informed me that the DENR trail is less than a week old as the people at the DENR started to clear the trail last January 6 and after a brief hiatus, were able to connect it with the usual trail (leading to the campsite) a few days before that weekend.

Skookumized
When I asked the people at the DENR if the opening of the DENR trail would mean the closure of the other (conventional trail) leading to Camp 1 (2nd registration site), they gave me conflicting statements. A person who claimed to have participated in clearing the trail said that the conventional trail leading to Tata Rey's compound/camping ground will be closed to hikers. However, the friendly owner of the eatery said that the conventional trail will remain open as the purpose of the DENR is to only provide hikers that option of not having to pay a 2nd registration fee.

As for me, I felt so relieved that my 1st solo climb is a success, and to be on my way back to Manila at 1330H is an added bonus.



Traipsing Chronicles 016
001.031.015

Pico de Loro / Mt. Palay-Palay
Ternate, Cavite
Category: Minor Climb - 4/9
Highlights: The famous "Monolith"; Forested Trail; Bamboo Forest; unobstructed views of the numerous coves including Corregidor Island and Manila Bay, Mt. Marami, Mt. Talamitam, and Mt. Batulao.

Actual Itinerary
Old Trail - Summit - New Trail

0500H  -  Depart from Quezon City
0730H  -  Arrival at the DENR (jumpoff)
0810H  -  Commence Hike (through the Old Trail)
0830H  -  Arrival at Camp 1 - Pay P25 registration
0850H  -  Arrival at the Alibangbang
0950H  -  Arrival at the Campsite
1010H  -  Arrival at the Summit
1040H  -  Commence hike back to the Campsite
1050H  -  Back at the Campsite
1150H  -  Descend back to the DENR 
1200H  -  Arrival at the junction going to the New Trail / DENR Trail
1230H  -  Arrival at the brook/river
1240H  -  Arrival at the DENR / jumpoff 
1250H  -  Wash-up / Lunch
1330H  -  Departure from jumpoff to Home

Pico de Loro - Scaling the Parrot's Beak

5 comments:

  1. may akyat kami bukas.. naka akyat na ako before sa pico buti nalang nag search ako at nakita ko na may new trail na nga. yung balita ko kasi dati nung umakyat kami private property daw yung start point kaya ipapasara na daw ng may ari. hows the new trail? iniba na ba talaga from the start upto peak? hows the trail nakakalito ba?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok naman yung trail Sir. Start po is dun sa may DENR mismo. Dun sa may paliguan/toilet sa registration area, yung pakanan sa baba papunta sa may ilog/sapa ang start. Tapos ang end po eh dun na sa may assault part after na nung Alibangbang junction at nung trail papunta ng falls. If familiar kayo dun sa maugat na puno na binabanggit ko...doon po mismo mag-converge yung new trail sa old trail.

    Mas maiksi po yung New Trail although paahon po siguro mga 70% of it. But after the peak nung bundok...pababa na lahat yun. May mga kawayan dito sa part na to kaya ingat kayo sir. Wala naman pong lito sa trail. Although nung dumaan po kasi ako bagong tabas pa lang sya pero as of last Saturday yata eh New Trail na lang ang gagamitin at close na yung Old Trail.

    Happy Hiking Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sir. Ask po po sana if required na po ba sa new trail ang tour guide? if not po, ndi naman po ba nakakaligaw ang new trail? kasi 1st time ko mag lead ng group, ndi kasama yung original group ko kasi other set of friends po.. Overnight po kami.. pde nyo po ba ako help sa IT na overnight sa new trail? ska how much po lahat fees na need bayaran? Thank u Sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kahee MB. Ang balita ko sa mga fellow mountaineers na umakyat gamit ang new trail eh hindi pa naman daw required and guide.

      Medyo madali naman kasi sundan yung trail at obvious naman kung saan ka pupunta. Wala rin naman siyang mga paliko, basta derecho lang talaga sya. But if you are not that confident or familiar with the terrain in Pico de Loro, mag-hire na lang kayo ng guide sa may DENR. Pero kung weekend kayo aakyat, advise ko sa inyo na sumabay na lang kayo sa ibang mountaineers at wag na mag-guide. Mababait naman ang mga namumundok dun hehe.

      Kung Overnight kayo, pareho rin ang IT kapag dun sa old trail ang daan. Mas maiksi pa nga yung New Trail. Kasi ang dulo nun eh malapit na kayo sa campsite, kung saan kailangan nyo kumanan paakyat (yung pakaliwa kasi eh pabalik dun sa Camp 1 sa Old Trail kung saan may 2nd registration dati.).

      P25.00 ang registration fee sa DENR. Hindi naman na kailangan magbayad ng camping fee (unless naniningil na sila ulit o kaya naniningil yung sa 2nd registration area dati kasi kini-claim nila na sila naman daw ang nag-ayos ng campsite. Medyo January pa yung last climb ko dun kaya ewan ko kung may nagbago na...pero so far ang balita ko eh wala pa naman binabagong policy.

      Just comment again if you have other questions or need clarifications.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kahee, please be advised that the DENR recently passed a resolution banning overnight camping in Camp 2. This rule was implemented last March 28 only. I hope that you were not affected by such new regulation. Happy Hiking!

      Delete